Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
On this page:
Virtual Reference Services
What Your Library Can Do Remotely
Bridge the Digital Divide
Check out this news story about the Bryant Library.
Communicate that the Library is an Essential Service
- Explore other libraries' websites for creative ideas for your website, communications, and virtual programs/services.
- Determine how the library can promote remote services best to your community.
- Reach out to your local news to have your library featured.
Connect with your Colleagues
Connect with your Community on Social Media
Ensure Access to Library Resources
- Consider waiving fines so patrons can access e-resources regardless of account status.
- Provide library card sign-ups for access to remote resources.
- Provide references services via email, phone, and chat.
Expand Access to e-books, Databases, and e-resources.
Offer Virtual Programs
Preserve Your Local History
- Create a community archive of journal entries, photos, and stories.
- Collect personal stories, video, photographs to preserve campus community experiences.
- Preserve a special collection such as pictures of home-cooked meals, empty grocery store shelves, take-out menus.
Serve as a Recovery Center for the Community
Learn more about the Library Recovery Funding Proposal from ALA.
Provide Information for Patrons about COVID-19, financial assistance, and mental health.
Identify opportunities for community engagement by reviewing websites and social media from your school system, town/city agencies, and local community-based organizations
Stay Up-to-Date Professionally
Support Legislative Advocacy
For more ideas, check out these resources:
Resources provided are for informational purposes only, not specifically endorsed by MLS, and not meant to substitute for advice from a medical or public health professional.