Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Subscribe to our MLS-ILL list for important announcements and messages about mediated interlibrary loan services. The archive of previous announcements are available to view in case you've missed them at http://mblc.state.ma.us/sympa/lists/regional.
Libraries in the the former Central, Southeastern, and Western Regions (formerly served by Thomas Crane/Quincy) can subscribe here.
Libraries in the former Boston, Metrowest, Northeast Regions (formerly served by Wellesley Free Library) can subscribe here.
Search the MLS Professional Collection
Making New Requests in Clio
Follow this guide for detailed information on how to place new ILL requests through the Clio requesting form.
Updating Requests in Clio
Follow this guide for detailed information on how to update ILL requests in Clio.
Searching and Requesting in FirstSearch
Follow this guide for tips on successful searching and requesting in FirstSearch. (Please note: FirstSearch is only available to libraries in the Metrowest and Northeast Regions due to a legacy subscription from the Regions days.)
Sending article requests using ILLiad
Follow this guide for detailed information on placing Document Delivery requests in ILLiad, provided by the Boston Pubic Library
Tips for Successful Searching in WorldCat
WorldCat.org is a useful resource but has some downsides with how it displays information. View this guide for tips on how to navigate and get better citations.
Interlibrary Loan Community Chats
Laura Bogart and the rest of the Resource Sharing Team staff host fortnightly (every-other-week) Interlibrary Loan Community Chats. Each one is recorded, and you can find the recordings below. To join future Community Chats, please register at the ILL/Delivery section of our calendar. To find other exciting events hosted by MLS, go to https://calendar.masslibsystem.org/. To find recordings of webinars, please continue scrolling down.
- Wednesday, December 1, 2021. Register now so you don't miss this upcoming Community Chat!
- Wednesday, November 17, 2021. (co-hosted with Delivery and eResources) Topics and timestamps: 1:20 Introductions; 2:45 navigating our LibGuide; 6:00 getting on our email lists; 14:40 Databases LibGuide; 18:30 Databases training and tutorials online events; 21:30 Databases Statistics; 28:50 What to do when mystery items show up in your Delivery; 32:25 Delivery Routes Index; 33:15 Delivery LibGuide; 35:00 Delivery Routing slips; 36:40 items in Delivery for a long time; 38:48 the future of interstate Delivery connections; 40:20 mail slowdowns and ILL lending times; 43:35 mail rates increase and holiday surcharges; 45:00 requesting and returning ILLs during the holiday season; 46:45 using the Interstate Delivery connection to send to Rhode Island
- Wednesday, November 3, 2021. Topics and timestamps: 2:45 How to turn on live closed captioning, find the chat box, and other Zoom instructions; 4:10 Icebreaker: How was your Halloween?; 7:00 Confusing holds; 11:00 Can we renew on ComCat?; 14:00 Contacting the ComCat help team; 21:30 Interstate Delivery with Rhode Island.
- Wednesday, October 20, 2021. One on one with Boston Public Library! Hear all about what's been going on at BPL lately! Topics and timestamps: 0:45 Why BPL had an access outage; 2:15 Staffing at BPL; 2:25 Post Office issues; 4:40 Article requests and collection development; 7:30 ghosts and pneumatic tubes in the library.
- Wednesday, October 5, 2021 recording was lost due to technical issues. Please view our other recordings!
- Wednesday, September 22, 2021. Topics and timestamps: 2:16 Icebreaker: "What are your library's plans for Halloween?"; 13:35 Can you limit WorldCat.org searches by country of the lenders?; 20:05 How much information should be sent to MLS on ILL requests?; 26:00 What do we do when ComCat doesn't know how to select a specific volume from graphic novels or other series?; 30:22 Why do some libraries use FirstSearch and others WorldCat.org?; 33:30 Why do some old, long-discarded, records get stuck showing as being owned on OCLC?; 37:00 Will lenders send entire issues of magazines?
- Wednesday, September 8, 2021. Topics and timestamps: 1:30 ComCat hiccups; 4:35 Icebreaker: "What are you looking forward to this month?"; 11:35 WorldCat listings mixing up physical books and e-books; 19:30 Behind the scenes -- WorldShare searching features; 23:20 Behind the scenes -- what we see on our Clio updating account; 25:00 One-on-one trainings via Zoom.
- Wednesday, August 25, 2021. Topics and timestamps: 2:15 Icebreaker: "If you had to live in any universe of a book, what book would you choose to live in?"; 8:30 ComCat error messages and contacting help; 12:15 How to request items when you use WorldCat.org; 21:45 Free mailing for Matter-for-the-Blind; 23:15 Estimating mailing charges; 25:45 ComCat labels; 27:55 How much does limiting to free lenders restrict options?; 29:25 AllRegions and other useful MBLC email listservs; 34:00 ComCat glitches; 39:30 How to find and search our ILL guide for trainings; 42:40 A behind the scenes peak at how we find lenders for your requests; 48:45 "Lost" vs "Assumed Lost"
- Wednesday, August 11, 2021. Topics: ComCat or mediated ILL; MLS ILL facilitating point to point requests; MLS ILL when you can't select a volume on ComCat; If you could choose any books or book series that isn't already a movie or TV show and get it made into a movie or TV show, what would it be?
- Wednesday, July 28, 2021. Topics: Getting ILL renewals when there's a shipping delay; Size of the OCLC lending pool; How many free lenders are on OCLC; What happens with the requests after submitted to OCLC?; Individual trainings over video chat with ILL staff; Requests that go to Boston Public Library rather than MLS ILL. (Note: I kept saying our chats are fortweekly because I couldn't remember fortnightly means every 14 days. Our Community Chats are every 14 days, not every 14 weeks)
- Wednesday, July 14, 2021 (co-hosted with Delivery and eResources) Topics: Can a patron return a book at a different network/on a different Delivery route?; Delivery to Rhode Island; Items turning around in Delivery; Statewide ILS; Multiple volume records on ComCat; How to effectively slip Delivery items; MyHeritage remote access issues.
Receiving requests in Clio
Renewing and Returning in Clio