Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Subscribe to our MLS-ILL list for important announcements and messages about mediated interlibrary loan services. The archive of previous announcements are available to view in case you've missed them at http://mblc.state.ma.us/sympa/lists/regional.
Libraries in the the former Central, Southeastern, and Western Regions (formerly served by Thomas Crane/Quincy) can subscribe here.
Libraries in the former Boston, Metrowest, Northeast Regions (formerly served by Wellesley Free Library) can subscribe here.
Search the MLS Professional Collection
Making New Requests in Clio
Follow this guide for detailed information on how to place new ILL requests through the Clio requesting form.
Updating Requests in Clio
Follow this guide for detailed information on how to update ILL requests in Clio.
Searching and Requesting in FirstSearch
Follow this guide for tips on successful searching and requesting in FirstSearch. (Please note: FirstSearch is only available to libraries in the Metrowest and Northeast Regions due to a legacy subscription from the Regions days.)
Sending article requests using ILLiad
Follow this guide for detailed information on placing Document Delivery requests in ILLiad, provided by the Boston Pubic Library
Tips for Successful Searching in WorldCat
WorldCat.org is a useful resource but has some downsides with how it displays information. View this guide for tips on how to navigate and get better citations.
Interlibrary Loan Community Chats
Laura Bogart and the rest of the Resource Sharing Team staff host fortnightly (every-other-week) Interlibrary Loan Community Chats. Each one is recorded, and you can find the recordings below. To join future Community Chats, please register at the ILL/Delivery section of our calendar. To find other exciting events hosted by MLS, go to https://calendar.masslibsystem.org/. To find recordings of webinars, please continue scrolling down.
- Wednesday, August 25, 2021. Topics and timestamps: Icebreaker: "If you had to live in any universe of a book, what book would you choose to live in?" (2:15); ComCat error messages and contacting help (8:30); How to request items when you use WorldCat.org (12:15); Free mailing for Matter-for-the-Blind (21:45); Estimating mailing charges (23:15); ComCat labels (25:45); How much does limiting to free lenders restrict options? (27:55); AllRegions and other useful MBLC email listservs (29:25); ComCat glitches (34:00); How to find and search our ILL guide for trainings (39:30); A behind the scenes peak at how we find lenders for your requests (42:40); "Lost" vs "Assumed Lost" (48:45)
- Wednesday, August 11, 2021. Topics: ComCat or mediated ILL; MLS ILL facilitating point to point requests; MLS ILL when you can't select a volume on ComCat; If you could choose any books or book series that isn't already a movie or TV show and get it made into a movie or TV show, what would it be?
- Wednesday, July 28, 2021. Topics: Getting ILL renewals when there's a shipping delay; Size of the OCLC lending pool; How many free lenders are on OCLC; What happens with the requests after submitted to OCLC?; Individual trainings over video chat with ILL staff; Requests that go to Boston Public Library rather than MLS ILL. (Note: I kept saying our chats are fortweekly because I couldn't remember fortnightly means every 14 days. Our Community Chats are every 14 days, not every 14 weeks)
- Wednesday, July 14, 2021 (co-hosted with Delivery and eResources) Topics: Can a patron return a book at a different network/on a different Delivery route?; Delivery to Rhode Island; Items turning around in Delivery; Statewide ILS; Multiple volume records on ComCat; How to effectively slip Delivery items; MyHeritage remote access issues.
One-on-one training recordings:
These are recordings of one-on-one Zoom sessions with a member librarian (recorded with permission of said librarian)
- Searching by languages on WorldCat.org (note: this has NOT yet been captioned. I will change this note and replace the file as soon as I'm able to create closed captions. I apologize for the delay!)
Receiving requests in Clio
Renewing and Returning in Clio